So this is a really random post, sorry folks - I was talking to Jenne the other night and we were discussing the order in which to introduce babies to different jar fruits and vegetables. Now, my co-teacher and I have worked hard on this over the years, haha, so I expect you all to pay very close attention.Anyway, I'm sure some people may disagree, but in the almost 3 years we've worked together, we've introduced jar foods to quite a few little ones.
We do suggest that when trying a new food, you give only that food for a solid three days (or more) so that you have a chance to observe what, if any, effects the new food has on them. Carrots tend to be a big allergen for many kids - certainly not all, but a good number. And trust me, you'll notice. Runny BMs, vomiting... all kinds of fun stuff if your kiddo's system doesn't want that food. Moving on....
1. Peas
Posted by
Dana
Here's why - peas are gross. They're thick, they're green, and they're pretty bland. Not delish.
2. Green Beans
See above. But really - they're just as thick, and they have just a smidge more flavor.
3. Squash
Leaps and bounds above the green stuff, there's still something about the squash that grosses me out. Maybe the fact that it develops a film that changes colors and hangs out at the top of the jar? Anyway, it's getting into the decent flavor range - a little more sweetness, but not too much. Same with the thickness - it hits a good middle ground. The smell is a bit odd though...
4. Carrots
Yay carrots! Messy though they may be, carrots are smooth and smell pretty okay. A little sweeter than the squash equals more happy babies. A warning - carrots tend to be an allergen for more babies than the other foods, so just be on the lookout.
5. Sweet Potatoes
The best of all the vegetables! Good smooth texture, not too think, not too runny. Sweet potatoes actually smell like food, which is always a good think to be able to say about, well, FOOD. I have only come across one child so far who didn't like sweet potatoes. I know it's possible, but most of the kids loooooove them. They're scrumptious.
Fruit - All fruits should be introduced after vegetables
6. Peaches
Yechhhh. I personally think the peaches are gross. They're an unnatural color (though that could surely be argued for others on this page as well), they're super runny, and they stink! Also, the peaches tend to run tart/sour, so you're best off making this the first fruit.
7. Apples(auce)
Yumalicous it is not, but it's also not gross. Just a simple food to take baby's mind off of those disgusting peaches. :) Smoother than "big kid applesauce" but other than that no big difference.
8. Pears
Pears also have a tendency to be a little runny and sometimes a bit tart, but they are actually my favorite jar food to feed to my kids. I like the fact that they smell good but not overly sweet.
8. Bananas
Last but certainly not least, the greatest of them all, bananas! By far the sweetest of the jar foods, they smell good (too sweet for me but most people love the smell) and they have a unique (for baby food) creamy texture.
This concludes our baby food lesson. Haha don't worry this blog won't turn into a baby-raising blog. I'll get to some real posts eventually. I think. :)









0 comments:
Post a Comment