Fantastically Flawed

because let's be honest - no one's perfect.

This one is incredibly easy for me - although my answer isn't really a technology. I'm okay with that, though, so you should be too. Something outdated that I wish were part of modern life? Letter-writing. Good old-fashioned handwritten letters written on personal stationary, sealed into an envelope, and mailed through the now-dreaded "snail mail." You want to know why? Good, because I'm going to tell you. But first...**Random Tangent Alert!!**
My hands are FREEZING! As in, really, really, really cold. My nail beds are purple and white. Seriously. Cold. I apparently need to find some gloves while I type blog posts. They always take longer than I expect them to take. It's funny, I used to be this shy girl child who didn't talk much, but now it's hard to get me to stop. I'm not really sure why I mentioned that, though, because I'm pretty sure that I've always written a lot. And... I told you it would be a random tangent!!!
We now return to our regularly scheduled blog post.

So. Why do I want letters to be part of our modern life? Honestly, there are quite a few reasons. Let's see what I can put together here. First of all - do you know anyone who doesn't like getting a letter in the mail? Really? It just makes me feel special when I get mail that doesn't require me to pay this or that company, or encourage me to purchase something from the companies I'm not currently in debt to. I love wedding season - which at this point in my life can happen in any season - because there's so much mail! (Tausha, I'm waiting....) Hahaha.

Have you ever received a hand-written letter that was not written specifically for you? Another thing I love - think about it. When someone takes the time to sit and write you a letter by hand, chances are very good that they also took some time to think what to write to you. What would you like to read, or what stories would you like them to share with you? Now I'm not saying that an email is always impersonal, I'm just saying that
it's more likely that you and your interests are considered more fully before someone writes you a letter by hand than they are when someone "shoots you an email."
You know what else? The people in this world are increasingly interested in what they can get right now. Even the quick picture from a Polaroid camera wasn't fast enough - we needed a digital camera so we could see our pictures within seconds instead of minutes. Sometimes I think we just need a break from all of this instant gratification. How would people change if they had to work just as hard as they do now but wait a little longer for the results? Letters allow us a chance to develop patience, because unless you all have superpowers you haven't shared with me, there is no way that you'll manage to have a letter in the mail, get it to the intended recipient, and receive a reply from them the same day. It's just not going to happen.

Now this being said, I will admit that I am
horrible at writing "real" letters and mailing them. I try every now and then, but I just don't have the persistence it would take me to develop the habit apparently. It's a shame, isn't it? LoL

Apparently some of these prompts will put me on a soapbox... sorry about that. I really just meant to find something that would give me some ideas of what I could write about.
I'm sure some of them will be more mellow though. Any thoughts on all of this? Or do you have another things that's obsolete that you wish we still had in our modern life? I'm curious...

2 comments:

I know a grandma who would love a letter from her granddaughter, no matter how short. Just an "I'm thinking of you" note!

I agree with you one hundred percent. Anthony and I were just talking about how text messaging was contributing to the fall of this generation. And, texting is good, but MODERATION is something a lot of people are not understanding.

You are so funny..."and now back to our regularly scheduled blog post". LOL.

Hope your hands have warmed up a bit! And, you'll be getting a letter from me in the next month or so. Hello, Christmas card! Pretty much the only time I use "snail mail", but after reading this, I'm thinking maybe I'll take up letter writing a little more often. :)

About Me

I'm revamping the blog - I don't know what it will turn into, nor do I promise to post regularly AT ALL. But we'll see what happens.

Quotes I Love

If the shoe doesn't fit, must we change the foot?

We are either progressing or retrograding all the while. There is no such thing as remaining stationary in this life.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.